COVID -19 has so far infected over 171,881 people in over 100 countries with about 77,781 cases of recovery and 6,526 deaths which is frightening yet highlighting the recovery rate is one sure way to avert any sort of mayhem.

Ghana confirmed the first two (2) cases as per the statement from the Ministry of Health on Thursday March 12, 2020 and one can sense the subtle wave of panic whirling across the nation as the number shot up to 6 within two day(2), from commuters of public transport to hawkers on the streets to the various precautionary measures and memes shared on our media platforms by corporate bodies, individuals and beauty entrepreneurs.

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo made it known in a televised national address Sunday night [March 15, 2020] that all public gatherings (weddings, funerals, church services and schools) in the country with immediate effect following the recording of six confirmed Coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) in Ghana are suspended.

With these six confirmed cases and the possible contact of about two hundred (200) people, are we ready as a nation to make sure that the situation is contained?

Prior to the disclosure by the Ministry, Award-Winning Brand Owner; Sacha Okoh, CEO of SO Aesthetics, during a panel discussion session at the just ended Africa Makeup & Beauty Fair (AMB Fair 2020) revealed that the pandemic has caused a decline in production since her products are manufactured overseas and then now that the virus has finally made it way into the country – Stakeholders, especially Makeup Artists are quite troubled.

Is there going to be a fall in demand for face beats as the fear of contacting the virus is on the rise? How long will local manufacturers producing outside keep their loyal costumers waiting? Perhaps answers to these questions will be for another day.

Let’s take a look at the trend of events in the beauty space outside Africa according to www.nzherald.co.nz; Makeup giants are taking drastic measures to stop the spread of corona virus, banning in-store makeovers and enforcing strict new cleaning standards. MAC Cosmetics has cancelled all client makeovers across Australia as it enforces a strict “no-touch” policy amid virus fears.

A source told News Corp Australia MAC would not hold any makeup applications with its stores this weekend, after an email from the company’s owner, Estée Lauder group, instructed stores to cancel all bookings.

In an email to customers titled “Steps we’re taking to address COVID-19”, Sephora’s US-based operation said: “As a precautionary measure, and for the welfare and safety of our clients and employees, we are suspending all paid in-store services, makeup and skincare applications, and classes until further notice”.

A Wall Street Journal report indicated that Italian luxury brands would feel the impact of the virus on sales, after it started in China and has put Italy – and most of the world – in a state of emergency.

Retail analysis are also tipping Chinese shoppers – a key demographic for luxury fashion – will spend less, in the wake of coronavirus.

“All designer brands will see very weak demand for their goods in the first quarter of 2020 at least,” the WSJ stated, in an analysis of coronavirus’ effects on the luxury goods market.

Although there is little one can do to reverse the havoc, we have no choice than to adhere to enhanced safety measures including disinfecting all high-touch areas of stores and studios, hand sanitizer stations for customers as well as staff, the use of face masks, working with disposable gloves, frequent washing of hands, frequent intake of water, fruits and vegetables, taking enough rest and most importantly avoid applying makeup that may have been used by others. The survival rates gives the assurance that there is no need for fear and panic and we shall sail through if we continue to make hygiene a priority.